Thursday, 21 June 2012

The First Mile of Learning to Ride a 2 Wheeler

Rubbish Photo - Will do better next time
After collecting my bike late yesterday afternoon it was too late to take it out for a play but I was determined to get up this morning and attempt to learn to ride it.

After the two days of sunshine we are back to the damp and chill again, and it would have been so easy to say "I will give it a miss today", but I didn't.

After my first morning cuppa and ciggie I walked the bike a short distance to a wooded area just off the beach where there is a fairly long run of pathway which at that time of the morning and in dull weather I knew would only have the occasional dog walker passing by.

After my first morning cuppa and ciggie I walked the bike a short distance to a wooded area just off the beach where there is a fairly long run of pathway which at that time of the morning and in dull weather I knew would only have the occasional dog walker passing by.

I tucked my trouser legs into my socks and mounted up.  Balancing was quite easy but the steering was awful.  I kept pulling to the left and then over compensating to try and straighten up.  After having lots of trouble and at one time only managing to break at the last minute before I ended up face first into some bushes, I realised it was because of the way one has to ride a trike.

On a trike only one of the back wheels is driven by the chain (obviously) and therefore they do have a natural tendency to want to go right. One compensates for this by pulling gently left to keep the trike steering straight.  This becomes so natural to do on a trike that one isn't consciously aware of it.  Of course on a bike this isn't necessary.

With this new found logic I tried again and things did get better.

Because I had chosen a starting and ending pathway, before ending up deep in woods, I also got a good bit of practice on braking gently, and learning to put my foot on the ground as the bike came to a stop before turning around and cycling back.

At one point I was quite pleased with myself.  My long fringe had blown into my eyes as I was riding, and I risked taking one of my hands off the handlebars to brush it away.  I did not fall off and I kept a straight line.  Woo Hoo!

One of the dog walkers stopped to chat to me and cheered me on congratulating me on learning to ride at my age.  Although she didn't mention the "at my age", lol.

In total I cycled up and down clocking up a full mile but at a maximum of 5mph.  I am hoping the rain will hold off again tomorrow long enough for me to have another practice.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that they have replaced the bike for you....
    I'm sure it won't take you too long to master the 'two wheeled art'. Lets hope that the rain and strong wind can hold off over the weekend. I will be following along with interest.

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment Trevor.

    ReplyDelete

If you do not wish to log in to comment, please choose from the drop down menu "name/url" - You do not need to add an url but I would appreciate a name rather than choosing anonymous. Thank you friends.