Friday, 1 June 2012

Taking the Bull by the Horns

I've just taken the bull by the horns and clicked to order a cheap folding cycle on line.

Even though I am really nervous about riding a 2 wheeler and I am sure I am going to make myself look a fool whilst practicing, I really wanted a bike that I could travel further a field with than I can my trike.

There is a skyride in Bournemouth on the 10th of this month which I would have loved to go to but have no way of getting my trike there but with a 2 wheeler I could have gone by train.  I often cycle to visit family members but leave early to cycle home again before dark so I don't have to travel through pitch back lanes but with a folding 2 wheeler they will be able to drive both myself and bike home.  I also would like to go over to the Isle of Wight cycling this year but with a trike that would be so cumbersome.

My bike wont arrive in time for the skyride in Bournemouth but at least I will have it for the next one.

I will need to buy a panier bag for it, a speedometer for checking how far I cycle, along with a carry bag for it.  I can get all that after it arrives and I take it directly to my local cycle shop for them to check that it has all been put together correctly along with tightening any nuts and bolts that might need it.

Now why buy a folding cycle and not a regular one you might ask.

My trike after 2 years is already showing signs of being left outside and although covered up the salt sea air is really affecting it.  I therefore really want to store my new bike indoors.   I live in a top story flat that has a small lift big enough to use with a fold down but not big enough for a normal bike along with the fact that my flat is so small there is no way I could find room to prop a bike up in here.  A fold up one I can sneak into a corner un-noticed.


Getting on trains here with bikes mostly means booking ahead of time unless one relies on getting a decent train guard that uses his discretion in non-rush hour times and allows a bike on.  Fold up bike are allowed with no problem as they are on buses.

And of course family driving me home late at night after me cycling to visit them will find it no problem throwing a fold up bike in their boot.


All in all  I think I have made the right choice in choosing a folding bike.  Now I just have to hope that I can ride the damn thing.

7 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea and I reckon because the bike will be so much lighter then your trike it won't take you long to get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bike weighs 28 lbs which is a lot different from the 70 lbs my trike weighs.

    I thought hard about it, checked my bank account, and thought sod it, I am going to treat myself.

    It's only a really cheap one but quite honestly I don't want to speed along, it's light enough for me to carry up and down in the lift, and if I really, really find I can't ride the damn thing then at least I have only wasted £100. But if I never tried it then I wouldn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is cheap and I would have done the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's a smart purchase. Do let us know about the ride quality. I'm following the Downtube Nova, a lower end well-made folder designed here in the US I can't justify another bike right now though. No harm looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne, no there is no harm looking. I spend a lot of time looking on line at bikes, especially since I have been thinking a lot lately about getting a two wheeler.

    I wish I had had the chance to ride as a kid, then I wouldn't be looking at having to learn how to ride bike as apposed to a trike at my age now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a really good idea. I look forward to reading how you get on with it. I am sure you will have it mastered in no time at all...

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I should pin an "L" plate on my back, rofl.

    ReplyDelete

If you do not wish to log in to comment, please choose from the drop down menu "name/url" - You do not need to add an url but I would appreciate a name rather than choosing anonymous. Thank you friends.