Sunday, 15 July 2012

UK Cycle Maps Suggested Cycle Route in Highcliffe Dorset

Since moving to this area I have to travel from East to West to get to my nearest, largish, town of Christchurch.  The beginning of my journey is through fairly quiet residential streets which could simply do with reducing the speed of traffic to 20mph, instead of the usual 30mph, to make it safer for cyclists.

On coming up and off of Wharncliffe Road (see map below) I then have always turned left and joined the fast moving traffic for about a mile before one can then cross over the main road and pick up the shared pedestrian/cycle paths.

Now I could never see the reason for why the council decided to suddenly stop the shared ped/cycle route where they did and not bring it right to the top of Wharncliffe Road where cyclists could then ride safely off of the busy road, avoiding our own very busy row of shops where one can always find lots of pedestrians milling around.

I have today discovered why, or I rather presume this is the reason why.

On checking UK Cycling Maps I found that they state...... At the top of Wharncliffe Road, turn right and then immediately left onto the cycle path.

In all the time I have been traveling this route I have never seen a cycle path at the top of Wharncliffe Road.  So today I set out to hunt down this cycle path.  I actually walked the journey so that I wouldn't have to think about being in traffic on turning right and seeking out the path.

At the top of Wharncliffe Road immediately on the corner on looking right there is a pedestrian island crossing.  On crossing I looked both left and right to see where this illusive cycle path was.  It was hard to find but eventually discovered by a small gap in the bush type hedges.  Very hard to spot unless one was specifically looking for it as I was.

The "cycle path" in actual fact is about 50 yards of pathway with wooded areas each side, until it emerges onto a residential estate.  The rest of the "cycle route" is simply sharing the road with motorised vehicles albeit in quiet streets.  This is not what I call a "Cycle Route".

There is no sign to say that a footpath/cycle path exists.  Plus I walked the whole distance of the cycle route and there are positively no cycling signs anywhere until it comes to the shared ped/cycle paths to the west.

If by some miracle one does find the cycle route, they will then find it is mostly all up hill whereas the main road in that area is in fact all downhill.    The so called cycle route also takes one many minutes out of the way.

In my opinion this is in no way a cycle route but instead quiet residential roads where it is safer to cycle.  Unfortunately there is no way that I will be using that route, but instead will continue to take the quickest and easiest route and stick to my own law of cycling on pavements when along side a busy main road.


9 comments:

  1. A 20 mile an hour speed limit has just been introduced on the road I live on. It's a main bus route too. I haven't seen any reduction in speed so far but no doubt the speed cops will be out soon to get in more revenue!!
    Cycle routes more often are longer and on worse inclines than road routes. Cycle on the pavements in areas you need to. The police here advised us to as its safer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20mph are now in most areas where there are schools, but of course motorists aren't liking it one bit. It now needs 20mph in all residential roads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what surprised me. The local school is on another road but you do see children walking down our road to get there. There seems to be a whole block of streets that have been zoned to 20mph so it should make cycling a little safer. Hope you can get out if your weather is better than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it annoying when a road is dead flat and a parallel cycle route hilly! It never seems to happen the other way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully one day it will no longer be like that.

      Delete
  5. Interesting blog. And, nice to think of Christchurch and Highcliffe. My grandparents lived in Mudeford, so I know it all well.... hope the sun is shining with you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is a lovely area to live in. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

      Delete
  6. Hey, you run such a fascinating site, couldn't help commenting on this one! And there is also one thing I would like to ask you. Is that a paid theme that you can buy online or this one is a free one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I somehow missed this post of yours. This theme is the free Blogspot "Simple". I just removed the background colours and changed the links, text, etc, to my own choice via the customise area.

      Delete

If you do not wish to log in to comment, please choose from the drop down menu "name/url" - You do not need to add an url but I would appreciate a name rather than choosing anonymous. Thank you friends.