Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Car Free Day - Christchurch Dorset

A couple of weeks ago I came across this post about Car Free Sundays.  This then lead me to searching the web for other information about Car Free Sundays.  On doing this I discovered about a World Wide car free day held mostly on 22nd September every year.  I am ashamed to say that I had never heard of this before.  I had of course known about the car free Sundays that the Netherlands had had and still have to this day.

I then went to my local Council, Christchurch, Dorset, website to see what they are doing about a car free day this year.  It was nothing, nada.   So I sent them a short email, asking if they were going to have a car free day this year, when it would be, and if any roads were being closed off to motorised traffic.

I received a mail back almost immediately stating that they had forwarded my email to Dorset County Council.

I have now received an email from Dorset County Council with nothing but a simple link within -
http://www.dorsetforyou.com/carfree

As you can see, the car free day is being kept very low key with a simple "Residents of Christchurch are encouraged to leave their cars at home for just one day to reap the benefits of sustainable travel."

Very few people visit the website unless they are looking for specific information.   There are no leaflets being distributed, no notices put up around the local businesses.  And no roads being closed to motorised traffic.   In fact if it hadn't been for my specific interest on the matter I too would not have seen that web page.

I can see that 22nd of September will be no different regarding the amount of vehicles on our roads than there are any other day of the year.  Nor will there be any more pedestrians or cyclists out and about on that day than any other Tuesday.

Another example of a town paying lip service to getting people out of their cars and walking or cycling.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I have to admit, that's a bit on the pathetic side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I'm sure our "No Car Day" will pass exactly the same as any other day with no more cycles on the road than usual and just as many cars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should have a national "don't walk/cycle to school/work day". Those who normally walk kids to school would drive, cycle commuters would get the train/tube or drive+park. Should be a fun day!

    ReplyDelete

If you do not wish to log in to comment, please choose from the drop down menu "name/url" - You do not need to add an url but I would appreciate a name rather than choosing anonymous. Thank you friends.