Saturday, 27 October 2012

Cycling Christchurch - A35 Lyndhurst Road

This shared use pedestrian/cycle path runs from the beginning of Lyndhurst Road (A35) in Dorset for approximately (not measured) 1 mile, where it peters out on the upward journey on the wrong side of a busy 40mph main through road just crossing the border into Hampshire.

Most times the traffic is in actual fact traveling at 10mph over the speed limit and it's extremely dangerous to cross this road at this point.

For much of this cycle path the width is between 18 and 24 inches.  Way too narrow for myself and trike.  I therefore have never attempted to actually use this wonderful bit of cycling infrastructure.

I haven't seen any part of the path being maintained since it became shared use.  It's overgrown, narrow and knobbly from start to finish.

Basically it's a case of "Well, pedestrians don't use it so if you want to cycle on it you can, but don't expect us to take care of it.  You use it at your own risk"

Lyndhurst Road (A35) Hinton Christchurch

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are posting again. Hope the weather is better for cycling down there than it is up here in the north. BTW I bought a folder after reading about yours. I am really pleased with it but still prefer my larger wheeled bike for long rides.
    Brenda in the Boro
    Www.cuclinginthrsixthdecade.Wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather has been awful. I don't mind cycling in the cold but hate the wet.

    Not sure that I can get on with my two wheeler, although I haven't totally given up on it. I do find my trike so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a trail for mountain bikes only!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it does doesn't it. Basically our local council, on the east of Christchurch, which takes one out of the county, have called any fraction of pavement barely used by pedestrians a cycle path.

      This particular cycle path if widened, maintained, and extended another half mile, would in actual fact give a great cycling route to our nearest country railway station where bikes could be left and trains caught into the nearest main towns of Bournemouth and in the other direction, Southampton.

      Delete
  4. Getting the right saddle can make a huge difference to comfort. When you feel better and more confident give it another go.
    Brenda in the Boro
    www.cyclinginthesixthdecade.Wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be giving it another go when the decent is back.

      But it's not that the bike is uncomfortable, it's more that I can't balance for anything other than a straight line. I really am having a hard time, learning to ride the thing safely.

      Delete
  5. Thanks to share interesting informations for Cycling

    ReplyDelete

If you do not wish to log in to comment, please choose from the drop down menu "name/url" - You do not need to add an url but I would appreciate a name rather than choosing anonymous. Thank you friends.